GeistOwners.com FORUM

Meet other Australian/NZ & UK Geist owners right here!
login.php?sid=b096b013f602ba911985dbc6447fb973&mforum=geist profile.php?mode=register&sid=b096b013f602ba911985dbc6447fb973&mforum=geist faq.php?sid=b096b013f602ba911985dbc6447fb973&mforum=geist memberlist.php?sid=b096b013f602ba911985dbc6447fb973&mforum=geist search.php?sid=b096b013f602ba911985dbc6447fb973&mforum=geist portal.php?sid=b096b013f602ba911985dbc6447fb973&mforum=geist                   Calendar

NEWS:
GeistOwners.com FORUM Forum Index » Geist Owners Club News » Oakhurst International Caravans in Receivership Goto page 1, 2  Next
Oakhurst International Caravans in Receivership
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
GeistRunner
Administrator
Administrator
:

Items

All GEIST owners, I have been informed that Oakhurst International Caravans who import the GEIST brand have gone into voluntary receivership as of Friday 13th March. It is a sad time for the Moller family and we pray that the family can get through this.

The factory in Germany I have heard, but awaiting a personal call, have vowed to keep the warranty and the integrity of the GEIST brand in Australia. I do not know at this stage whether there will be new product arriving at all but at this stage I believe the importance of spare parts and customer service in regards to the brand should come first.

There is I believe a lot of spare parts that had just come off the wharf before they appointed receivers. I am looking to see when this can be released. I do believe that all Oakhurst workers entitlements were met.

My aim at this stage is to work with interested parties to secure a constant flow of spare parts into Australia and make sure that the Geist brand can continue in Australia in some form. If anyone would like to be involved in doing this, please let me know via PM or call 0427 878 645

At this stage I have very little more to tell everyone but will do so as soon as it comes available.

Hopefully the transition of importer of the GEIST brand can be short.

Regards

GR Crying or Very sad
Oakhurst
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Joe Dennie
Captain
Captain
:

Items

Sorry to here the news. I recently have to change the locking cylinder for the door. couldn't find anything available locally. A locksmith in SA said he had never seen one before and didn't know where one could obtain one. I contacted Oakhurst who sent a replacement however; if we don't have an agent this will be difficult. I also know the Electroblock can't be sourced other than from Geist ($840) . Hopefully Geist will get behind Oakhurst and help them to trade out of receivership.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
BobD
Captain
Captain
:

Items

Peter,

It is good of you, as the first victim of this problem, to help out as you have offered to do. We all really appreciate it.

As I see it we need to get one of the service people to take over the management of spare parts etc so that we can keep our caravans on the road. This would be a bit of an ask for any service company for such a low volume but there at least needs to be a procedure set up for us and any dervice agents etc to get parts as necessary from Germany.

I guess the web site becomes even more important. how long do we have till it needs a payment to continue and should we all be chipping in to keep it going?

Geist AK560
Landrover Discovery 4 3l SE
1987 Jayco popup, now for kids
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
GeistRunner
Administrator
Administrator
:

Items

Good points Bob,

I am talking to some people now about having a couple of service guys take it up. Lindsay and Cameron(service guys) in Maryborough are heavily affected by this, they are excellent operators on the Geist brand and would like to keep working on them, I am in talks now to try and do that with local business people in the area. The next thing is, as you say "keep our caravans on the road". This I am confident we can achieve but will take some time to get parts rolling in again. That is my biggest worry, that owners may get sick of the waiting, there has been some it would seem already that have waited weeks if not months for parts.

The website I am pretty sure was paid up not long ago, because I set it up I still can change some things on the geistdirect website, I am being careful not to change too much until I hear from the receivers. The forum is a free one I have been running and not owned by Oakhurst but I may need to start running some google ads to bring in some money to keep it going before and after the upgrade comes through.

I would like to keep doing the e-newsletters but will need some way of funding that, any suggestions there would be great. There are 250 registered members of the club now, to lose that would be tragic for the brand.

GR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
BobD
Captain
Captain
:

Items

Peter,

Do you own your own Geist? I thought you had one supplied by Oakhurst for your travels but from your posts it sounds like you own one.

Geist AK560
Landrover Discovery 4 3l SE
1987 Jayco popup, now for kids
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
GeistRunner
Administrator
Administrator
:

Items

Yes I own a Geist XK660, the one I travelled in around Australia for Geist Direct.

GR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
rodann
First Geist Owner
First Geist Owner
:

Items

Hello Peter and owners,

We can support Peter in his view of Cameron and Lindsay. They did some good work for me when we took the van over last August, very professional, careful and tidy workers. That is one reason I had booked our van in for servicing at Maryborough this coming June.

Pete, would it be possible to have a contact number for the guys so that we may still be able to use them for our service.

Good luck with your efforts Pete.

regards

Rod & Ann
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
GeistRunner
Administrator
Administrator
:

Items

The boys are in shock at the moment, I will ask when they would like to discuss it, hopefully I can bring some good news soon.

GR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
geistriders
First Geist Owner
First Geist Owner
:

Items

GR,
Thanks for the heads up on what is happening. This is sad news indeed.
Whilst you are considering service persons there is one in Adelaide who previously worked for Global at Mt Barker. He is an excellent mechanic for the marque and may be interested in continuing in a modified role. I will PM his detail if you are interested.
I hope that we can collectively support you to ensure that both the forum and the parts supply continue.

Safe and happy travels

Geoff and Nancy
GEIST Servicing in NSW after Voluntary Receivership
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
geistxk485
Batsman
Batsman
:

Items

Hi all,
Following my earlier post re Geist / Oakhurst closing the Gosford yard, I had a follow-up discussion today with Harry re on-going servicing requirements.
For the time being, he is happy to carry out any servicing on Geist caravans, and I suggest you contact him directly if you have specific requirements. I guess this applies equally to any owner passing through the area.

Harry Westerdyk
Coastal Caravan Clinic
392-400 Manns Road
West Gosford
02-4325 2011
0418 484 277
caravanclinic@bigpond.com.au

He is aware that this info will be posted here.

If I can be of any assistance locally (I live not too far from Gosford yard and pass it quite often), please don't hesitate to contact me via this forum.

Regards, Ian
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
GeistRunner
Administrator
Administrator
:

Items

Germany emailed me last night, no more details yet but they will let me know in the coming days once things have come to light more with the receivers.

As far as I know all the service agents can still do a service with their Geist books and it will be acknowledged by the factory

GR
Oakhurst International - warranty
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Dougal
12th Man
12th Man
:

Items

We understand that Oakhurst International Caravans have gone into receivership (from messages posted on the forum and also from Darios).
We have been reading some of the comments on the forum and are obviously some what concerned so I contacted the ‘Consumer Advisory Service’ in Adelaide today.
I have been informed by them that we should not worry as any warranty issues that we may have in the future is direct with the company that we purchased our XK 660 from. In this instance it was from Noels who as you would be aware have also withdrawn the Geist from their range.
I am yet to put this question to the test but I find their response interesting. I would have thought that if the ‘contracted’ dealer was responsible for warranty issues, they would therefore be responsible for ensuring that they could get their hands on spare parts if and when required.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
GeistRunner
Administrator
Administrator
:

Items

Yes, not sure about that, my understanding and wording of the agreements I put out there is that dealers go back to the manufacturer, the dealers should facilitate that for the customer but the manufacturer actually gives the warranty, I am very confident that the warranty will be backed up by Germany. It is just getting the new middle man (importer) in place that might be an issue. Noel I know has wiped his hands of Geist, in saying that Darios or Cararest should be able to order parts very soon from the factory or better still a new business to facilitate the parts.

GR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Bob and Al
Fieldsman
Fieldsman
:

Items

Hi All

We have just had a lengthy sundowner in Dubbo (very enjoyable too) with Harry Westerdyk and his wife from Coastal Caravan Clinic in Gosford. They told us they have today purchased all of the spare parts from the receivers of Oakhurst.

They are a lovely couple and very much 'Geist" people (they own one). They assured us that they now have heaps of Geist parts and are also very confident Geist Germany will support the brand in Oz and will set up alternative importers and parts/service backup for existing geist owners and also are very committed to continuing sales of the brand in Oz.

We came away feeling very positive for the future of Geist in Australia.

If anyone has any problems with their van, they are happy to help. Their contact details are

Harry Westerdyk
Coastal Caravan Clinic
392-400 Manns Road
West Gosford
02-4325 2011
0418 484 277

Al & Bob
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
geistriders
First Geist Owner
First Geist Owner
:

Items

Hi Bob & Al,
Just sent a PM before reading the forum, but this is really good news. Thank you for posting the contact details.
Hopefully none of us will need spare parts, but it is good to know that there is now a back-up.
Regards
Geoff and Nancy
Oakhurst International Caravans in Receivership
GeistOwners.com FORUM Forum Index » Geist Owners Club News
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum