Ridge Riders Mountain Bike Association Forum IndexRidge Riders Mountain Bike Association
Mountain Bike Club based in Central Florida

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
WTF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ridge Riders Mountain Bike Association Forum Index -> Trail Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loydfl

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: WTF Reply with quote

Ok I admit I am not one of the die hard trail maintenance folks and much beyond tree trimming, brush cutting and the like I don't get involved. I greatly appreciate almost all of the hard work and dedication that the small group people who do put the time in on keeping the trails clear, ride-able and fun. However, I do have a major bone to pick with whomever is screwing up the first finger.

First off, the rooty climb at the exit was one of the more challenging sections that the RED TRAIL had to offer. What was done to it is only one step away from paving it and it should have a handicap accessible sign put up.

Secondly, the work that was done severly undercut the entrance line and I fear that not too much time will pass before that collapses. The only thing worse that unnecessary trail work is work that damages the future of the trails.

This is supposed to be a red trail. It is supposed to be difficult and if you cannot ride it, skip it, there is no shame in that. I don't know of anyone I have run into in the last week that approves of what has been done there and unfortunately there is no way to undo most of it. Please post up and ask before you drastically alter a trail, especially a red one. Unless it is flat not ride-able by anyone or poses such a great hazard to life and limb as to be nearly so, leave it the heck alone. All that out line needed was some shovelfuls of dirt on the roots.
Raymond
President
President

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd
Like you said there are LITERALLY a small group of us that work on the trails. By going on the board and saying someone is "screwing up" the first finger is a sure fire way to make that person who is probably somebody who makes up the "small group" say "F it" to helping on the trail instead of typing "WTF" on a message board..
This weboard has caused people in the past to quit the club, stop trailwork, etc.. I DO have examples.

I absolutly agree that the changes made should have been posted or run by me as well as a few of the "handfulls" that maintain the trail.

The trail is in a public park and the trail will always change weather it be someone doing unauthorized trail changes, rain, sand, storms, 4x4's, motorcycles etc.

This topic is as useless as going in search of a dead horse with a whip....

Web Boards ruined Mountain Biking !!!! - I like how quite ours is. That means its all good, trails are in good shape and we are all too busy riding.... Wink
Loydfl

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

I hear where you are coming from and well remember the times. I welcome true maintenance for sections that need it and do many small sessions myself on things that need fixing or trimming. I would definitely participate more in the larger projects if they were known to me ahead of time or I could contribute ahead of time as my schedule permits.

What I also remember was rampant root cutting that stopped with all the backlash on the board. In that case the feedback was instrumental to putting a stop to it. Was it overdone and sometimes harsh, yes.

In the ensuing 4 or 5 years the amount of damage from Motorcycles, 4 x 4s has dropped off dramatically as the county and select folks have effectively blocked access to much of the trails.

I disagree that Web Boards ruined Mountain Biking. People or persons did. Because a quiet board is one where there is no dialog, there are no examples of people running plans by anyone. Set the policy, make the statement, folks lurk and monitor. Let us use this board and Facebook for what they are meant to be, a place to network and exchange ideas and events with feedback.

Maybe "Screwing up" is a harsh set of words to use in this case, I am sure many will have opinions one way or the other. I know personally the sense of accomplishment I had the first time I cleaned that section and the need to keep on my toes ever since there. I no longer need worry.
Steveo

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRRRRRRRRRRRR will keep my mouth shut Evil or Very Mad
il postino

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode it today, I like it.
Bird

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode it yesterday and it is to damn easy for a RED TRAIL. I know some people that have had a hard time with this spot and have just started to finally made it..but now the challenge is GONE. I will come out and help with trail work IF we work on stuff that needs to be fixed. What is frustrating is the fact that sections on OPTIONAL trail have been DUMBED down. Instead of thinking that people just complain about the DUMBING down of the trails they ride at least they care. The big question is how do we harness this emotion to get more people involved????

Ray, I would like to fix the climb out of Sneaky Snake. What do you think? The board is broke on the left side of the climb out and if it is not fixed soon will fall off the side.
Raymond
President
President

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that climb outta sneaky needs some love. We (or you) need to move it furthur away from that tree and make the climb a little harder to make like it used to be.. Let me know when and I will help
Virge

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raymond wrote "Like you said there are LITERALLY a small group of us that work on the trails. By going on the board and saying someone is "screwing up" the first finger is a sure fire way to make that person who is probably somebody who makes up the "small group" say "F it" to helping on the trail."

Bingo! The last 12 hours or so that I have spent at the park have been doing work, not riding. Lloyd, your concerns may be justified, but its how you come across that is discouraging. Your thanks at the beginning of your post quickly turns to trail bashing. Yup, makes me wanna run right out and do more trail work.
Loydfl

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duly noted and I will accept the reprimand. I am still upset about the work that was done on the first finger, but it is time to let it go.

There are wonderful examples of great work done out there. The work at the end of Snake Ridge and the clay party are great examples of what can be done as a group. There is much potential gooness to be done if we had a plan to work to. I cannot make many of the trail workdays due to family commitments, but I am often out there between 7:30 and 8:30 in the morning trimming back the trails, clearing trees/branches and the like. I would gladly contribute elsewhere during those hours.

We all may not be able to make it out during the designated trail work days, but having a plan that people can work to would go a long way towards spreading the love and good trail karma.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ridge Riders Mountain Bike Association Forum Index -> Trail Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: