Ridge Riders Mountain Bike Association Forum IndexRidge Riders Mountain Bike Association
Mountain Bike Club based in Central Florida

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
New Bike
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ridge Riders Mountain Bike Association Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin P

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: New Bike Reply with quote

Ok fellow Ridge Riders it is time....

My beloved Ellsworth rear triangle finally cracked, so I'm in search for a new ride.

I'm looking for a fast XC bike (even though I do not race! lol)....what would you guys recommend now a days? I've tried a couple different 29'ers and I'm not sure I'm sold on the local riding...

Whatcha think?

Oh btw -- BIG thanks to Leroy for the loaning me his Orbea 29'er to race -- U rock!!

kp
bentscycling

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just let us know what you want to test ride! Very Happy
Kevin P

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bentscycling wrote:
Just let us know what you want to test ride! Very Happy

Thank ya, sir.

What's your opinion?

Trails in Florida are a 'lil to twisty for a 29'er, right? Help a brother out!

kp
TRG

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really don't notice much difference on the twisty trail thing. Think they over think that one. 29er generally a little heavier but the way they roll more than makes up for it. Give it a try!
Kevin P

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRG wrote:
Really don't notice much difference on the twisty trail thing. Think they over think that one. 29er generally a little heavier but the way they roll more than makes up for it. Give it a try!

Thanks TRG -- Leroy let me borrow his sweet azz orbea carbon 29'er hardtail so I'm gonna give it a try...btw I've tried a couple already just not in a race situation. Just tooling around the 29'er feels great...not sure at race pace it would feel the same.

kp
TRG

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have a race pace, old and slow. It does seem to me the faster you go, the smoother they get. I have a single speed hard tail now and Hand a niner rip 9 full suss. The rip was prob the easiest bike to ride fast i've ever ridden. Carter seemed flat on that bike. Maybe I should'a kept that one!
Heard really good things on the Jet 9 also. Shorter suspension and lighter than the Rip. The winter haven bike crew are riding Elsworth 29ers and seem to like them alot.
Good luck with the hunt!
Jamie

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KP...check out my new steed...Titus X Carbon ! I hav'nt got on the 29'r bandwagon as of yet...
but you can't go wrong with Titus...although you may want to get something one the lbs's carry...jus sayin'.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Kevin P

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie wrote:
KP...check out my new steed...Titus X Carbon ! I hav'nt got on the 29'r bandwagon as of yet...
but you can't go wrong with Titus...although you may want to get something one the lbs's carry...jus sayin'.

You are Mr. MTB, so why Titus? You got to give me something to chew on Jamie! Why not the big hitters out there...Scapel or Epic?

kp
Steve S

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 all the way
il postino

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to ride a 29 several times on varying terrain to fully appreciate it. Besides, only little munchkin people like Steve S ride 26s anymore.
Jamie

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin P wrote:
Jamie wrote:

You are Mr. MTB, so why Titus? You got to give me something to chew on Jamie! Why not the big hitters out there...Scapel or Epic?

kp

Scapel in a word...cost...9k retail is vulgar and I could never get used to the way it handled in 09' although it's been redesigned quite extensively so I can't honestly say how either of these handle. Specialized...same...cost is phenom...both totally in love with their products but offer incredible technological advancements, basically cutting edge. While these big names top xc bikes are big players, not willing to give my left nut to own one. Titus uses a Specialized FSR rear swingarm patent that through their frame design is tweaked to perfection. Fast xc design that works, cost way less and proven... They went out of business for 1 year..2011, their 2012 line will be coming in and my guess is it's going to rock. Frame I posted is a 2010 and is warranty covered by On-One as a courtesy, not legally. On-One just picked them up for good reason...Titus is passionate and knows how to build race bikes, and these bikes freakin' handle superbly. They are pure race specific and their suspensions are balanced and the ride is excellent...now I am talking specifically about the racer-x and since I can't honestly say how the x-carbon is going to ride, reviews are very promising, stating more Titus majic. When I get mine built your welcome to ride a lap on it and check it out. Many bikes out there now so good luck with your choice of weapon!

Last edited by Jamie on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Jamie

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

il postino wrote:
You have to ride a 29 several times on varying terrain to fully appreciate it. Besides, only little munchkin people like Steve S ride 26s anymore.

Got cha munchkin hangin right chere' doughboy. Wink

Jamie

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Web picture of built...

Kevin P

:

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank ya Jamie!!!

That's what I'm talking about...

kp
Walker

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my unprofessional opinion the whole "29er's can't turn sharp" thing is 100% a rumor. Test ride one if you haven't yet. As far as the brand goes test them until you find the one that you love. I'm attaching some pics of mine. I bought it local, you may have heard of the place. Leroy's Bikeworks. lol Awesome deal, awesome dude and I love my bike.

Photos are not that great, the lighting in the Fire Department isn't the greatest:)
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/5260/img00959201106250958.jpg
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9993/img00960201106250959.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2694/img00965201106251002.jpg
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/614/img00962201106250959.jpg
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6630/img00961201106250959.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ridge Riders Mountain Bike Association Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: